Thursday, September 28, 2006

First hot seat experience

It all started with George asking me if I had an easy schedule for the next couple of weeks. Since I always am jobless, I gave the obvious answer...and then came the info, I was supposed to be helping him with a few interviews.

Initially I was aprehensive about the entire thing. I knew that I would be sitting one fine day for the interview without any preparation. In that sense, its going to be a test for me as well as for the person sitting in front of me. And I was pretty sure that there will be no preparation because time has got this sense of unaccountability with me like money with dishonest beurocrats. And that means that I would be doing stuffs on an Ad-Hoc basis. Even though I try not to do things on such a basis, finally all get done this way only. Maybe I was destined to do things this way all the time. But I do make it a point to keep in mind that I will never ever do it this way again. It goes easy with my concience.

So back to the main point, it started at 8 in the evening. This guy was from the same college that i had come from and had done a few things. The initial apprehension lost its way sometime in the middle of the interview and before I knew, it was done.

Then I realized that it was not a big deal atall. But sometimes i really do feel for the people who get rejected along the way too just because of the interviewer's perception (i would say that even the interviewee has got something to do with it...but then...)

Only two imp points to keep in mind:
1) Interview is the art of making people talk about the things that they are comfy with and trying to get people talk about things that they are not comfy with.
2) Remember that these people will be working with you, so choose people who will fit in the company's environment, which will reduce a lot of heartburn all along in the future.

Other than that, have fun and njoi. :)

No comments: